At North Farm, we are committed to supporting people with disabilities.
To this end, since the beginning of building our dream, we have designed our infrastructure to include a network of pathways across our the Farm, enabling those with appropriate equipment to access as many areas of this beautiful countryside as possible. We also have 2 wheelchair-friendly bedrooms with access to two accessible bathrooms. Our dream is to make the entire property wheelchair-friendly, including the dairy.
As well as this, we are intent upon compiling a resource library of wheelchair-friendly venues, facilities, and activities around the Bellingen Valley and Coffs Coast Region.
The Coffs Coast has a range of wheelchair-friendly attractions, and one website that we love which will provide you with an overview of some of these is ‘Have Wheelchair Will Travel‘. There’s even a ‘Coffs Harbour‘ category where you’ll find some great posts about the region, all written from the point of view of a family who travel with a son who has cerebral palsy and travels with a manual wheelchair.
Plus, we are updating our own list regularly. If you know of any businesses or destinations that can accommodate wheelchair use, or support any disabled accessibility, please let us know so that we can include them on these pages.
Wheelchair accessible activities in the Coffs/Bellingen Region:
- Bellingen Swim Centre has a Hydraulic Lift. Contact Bellingen Swim Centre on 6655 1688 for information.
- Big Banana Fun Park Ice Rink has disabled toilets, access, and parking. Entrance is free and admission to rides is variable. See their website for opening hours.
- Forest Sky Pier at Bruxner Park is open daily for visitors, includes parking and toilets, is wheel-chair accessible, and is free.
- Coffs Harbour Butterfly House has a glorious selection of butterflies in a sub-tropical setting, and also an accessible maze which everyone will love. The Butterfly House is open from 9am to 4pm all year round except during NSW school terms, when they are closed on Mondays. During NSW school holidays they are open 7 days a week with the exception of Good Friday, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
- Dorrigo National Park offers visitors with mobility restrictions the use of the TrailRider all-terrain wheelchair so that they can experience the park with their family and their friends. It has handles at the front and back, which allow guides to manoeuvre the chair on walking tracks that are not wheelchair-accessible, including up and down stairs. Watch their video to see how it works, and visit their website for more information.
- Dolphin Marine Magic has wheelchair access to the show and cafe areas. Read more about their facilities on their blog.
- Urunga Boardwalk and Wetlands Boardwalk.
- Coffs Harbour Trike Tours – read about BJ’s wheelchair experience on Have Wheelchair Will Travel
- Urunga Sailing Club – The Club is committed to assisting persons with disabilities to go sailing and enjoy the beautiful river system we have here.
- Beach wheelchairs, available free of charge, can be booked through Coffs Harbour City Council (call 0408 285 073), the Coffs Harbour Yacht Club (call 02 6652 5844) and the Sawtell Surf Life Saving Club (call 02 6653 2164)
- Bellingen Shire Mobility Map Urunga / Dorrigo Bellingen / Mylestom.