Gai’s Easy Cheesy Pie
This delicious pie is always a hit at gatherings. I don’t add salt because I find there is enough in the cheese and people can add it afterwards. There are two versions – one with pastry and one without – so this dish can be gluten-free but not dairy-free.
I use halloumi and chèvre, because we make these cheeses from our own fresh goats’ milk at North Farm, but you can use any tasty hard cheese in combination with any soft, white cheese you like.
As for the greens, I use a mixture of anything I can find in the garden but if you’re pressed for time, use frozen spinach.
If you’re going to buy puff pastry, look for ‘Butter Puff’ in the supermarket. I have not come across an organic or gluten-free version so if you don’t want to ingest white flour you’re better off making the parmesan-topped version.
Special thanks to Jane Cruickshank who gave me the original recipe. Let us know how you go in the comments below 🙂
Ingredients for 4-6 people
- 250g hard cheese, e.g. cheddar or halloumi, grated
- 250g soft cheese, e.g. feta or chèvre, crumbled
- 1 large onion or 3-4 shallots (spring onions), finely chopped
- 4 large or 5 medium eggs (depending on size)
- 1 bunch spinach, or any leafy greens, chopped (or small packet frozen spinach)
- 1 sheet puff pastry (optional)
- Olive oil, black and white sesame seeds, for garnish if using pastry, or
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- Heat oven to 180 degrees and lightly oil a pie dish.
- Mix cheeses, onion and eggs together until well blended.
- Wash spinach and place in pot. Cook over gentle heat, adding 2-3 tablespoons water if necessary, and stirring occasionally. Allow greens to steam until wilted. Drain off any excess liquid.
- Spread half the cheese mixture on the bottom of the dish, top with the wilted greens, then spread the other half of the cheese mixture on top.
- For the full gluten-laden version, top with puff pastry, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- For the gluten-free, sprinkle the top of the pie with grated parmesan.
- Bake at 180 for 40-50 minutes or until top is golden.